Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- All items in a subscription have the same billing interval.
A client offers a subscription product that consists of two items:
- Research Portal: $2,500 yearly
- Live Feed (optional premium content): $1,000 yearly
- On January 1st, a customer purchases the Research Portal subscription itemA subscription item is component of a subscription with its own set of attributes including price, description and feature set..
- On May 18th, the customer logs into the client-hosted account management page. The customer selects the option to add the Live Feed subscription item to the subscription.
- The account management page uses the Add Subscription Item API endpoint to calculate the pro-rated price for Live Feed for the remainder of the current billing interval and displays the price and subscription details to the customer.
- The customer confirms the addition of Live Feed, submitting the order.The account management page uses the Add Subscription Item API endpoint to add Live Feed to the subscription on the cleverbridge platform.
- On the same day, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer $616.45 for Live Feed, which is the pro-rated amount for the 225 days remaining in the billing interval.
- On January 1st, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer $3,500 for the new billing interval.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following options are also available:
- Reduce the price of the Live Feed subscription item by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant.
Suppress generation of the confirmation email to the customer for adding the Live Feed item.
- Change the product name or the product's additional name information for the subscription.
Obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtaining Customer Consent.