Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- The client knows the next reminder date for the subscription because the subscription must be updated with usage information before this date. The new purchase is created in the cleverbridge platform on the next reminder date. In order to be billed, the usage information must have been applied to the subscription record in the cleverbridge system.
- On March 17th, a customer purchases a SaaS data storage subscription that is billed monthly. This service is priced entirely upon the amount of data storage used each month using a formula that the client applies to activity records within its data centers. Although the customer was required to enter payment information to complete the purchase, the customer is not billed at this time.
- At the end of the day on April 16th, the client uses a program that accesses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to update the usage quantity for the monthly billing interval that just ended. This program calculates usage for each subscription with a renewal date of April 17th.
- On April 17th, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills each customer for the prior month's usage.
- Every subsequent month, the client runs the program to update subscriptions with usage information.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following options are also available:
- Reduce the price of the subscription by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant.
Suppress generation of the confirmation email to the customer for the transaction.
The cleverbridge platform generates an email for new purchases that cannot be suppressed.