On January 1st, 2018, a customer signs up for your CRM service and receives one seat for $40 per year.
- On July 1st, 2018, the customer, now fully satisfied with the CRM service, receives a promotional email where an additional seat can be purchased at a discounted price - $10 for a one-year seat - if the customer renews their existing seat immediately.
- The customer clicks on the link in the email and is taken to the client-hosted Customer Self-Service page. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to obtain and display the price of the additional seat ($10), in combination with the pro-rated cost of extending the existing seat by 6 months ($20). The next billing date for both seats is also shown (July 1st, 2019).
- After reviewing this information, the customer confirms this purchase by clicking a Buy Now button. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to immediately extend the existing seat and add the additional seat at the discounted price.
The cleverbridge platform bills the customer a total of $30 for the extended seat ($20) and the additional seat ($10). An additional 6 months are added to the interval of the existing seat, moving the next billing date for both seats to July 1st, 2019.
- The customer sees a confirmation pageThe confirmation page is displayed after a customer makes a purchase. The confirmation page contains the order confirmation and delivery information., which is linked from a URL provided by Update Subscription Item. If the transaction is not successful, the page provided by the API will inform the customer about the next steps, such as updating the payment details in case of a failed payment.
On July 1st, 2019, the customer is automatically charged $50 to renew the seats ($40 for the original seat and $10 for the additional seat).
- You must obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtaining Customer Consent.
For more information, see Co-Terming Subscription Items (Extend Billing Period of Original Seat).