On January 1st, 2018, a customer signs up for your CRM service and receives one seat for $40 per year.
- On July 1st, 2018, the customer, now fully satisfied with the CRM service, receives a promotional email where an additional seat can be purchased at a discounted price - $10 for a one-year seat - if the customer purchases the seat immediately.
- The customer clicks on the link in the email and is taken to the client-hosted Customer Self-Service page. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to obtain and display the price of the pro-rated additional seat that will terminate in 6 months ($5). The next billing date for both seats is also shown (January 1st, 2019).
- After reviewing this information, the customer confirms this purchase by clicking a Buy Now button. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to immediately add the additional seat at the pro-rated price.
The cleverbridge platform bills the customer a total $5 for the pro-rated additional seat. The first billing interval of the additional seat is reduced to 6 months, moving the next billing date for both seats to January 1st, 2019.
- The customer sees a confirmation pageThe confirmation page is displayed after a customer makes a purchase. The confirmation page contains the order confirmation and delivery information., which is linked from a URL provided by the Update Subscription Item API endpoint. If the transaction is not successful, the page provided by the API will inform the customer about the next steps, such as updating the payment details in case of a failed payment.
On January 1st, 2019, the customer is automatically charged $50 to renew the seats ($40 for the original seat and $10 for the additional seat).
- You must obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtaining Customer Consent.
For more information, see Co-Terming Subscription Items (Shorten Billing Period of Additional Seat).