Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- The current billing interval has started.
- The renewal is not combined with an alignmentAlignment is the act of consolidating the billing for two separate subscriptions into a single recurring billing event. of the subscription.
- The product, to which the customer wants to upgrade, has been set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- On May 15th, 2016, a customer purchases a Basic Plan subscription to a photo storage and sharing service for $9.95 annually. The service provides the customer 100 gigabytes of cloud storage.
- On March 15th, 2017, the customer visits the client’s Customer Self-Service area to upgrade to the Premium Plan (unlimited storage) for $19.95 annually. The page uses the Get Subscription API endpoint to obtain and display the price of the Premium Plan, next billing date (May 15th, 2018), and other details regarding the subscription.
- After reviewing this information, the customer confirms this purchase by clicking a Buy Now button on the page. The page uses the Update Subscription API endpoint to upgrade and renew the customer's subscription to the photo storage and sharing service immediately.
- The cleverbridge platform bills the customer the full $19.95 renewal price for the next billing interval, which starts immediately. The remaining two months from the current billing interval are added to the next billing interval, moving the next billing date to May 15th, 2018.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following option is also available:
- Forward the customer to confirmation pageThe confirmation page is displayed after a customer makes a purchase. The confirmation page contains the order confirmation and delivery information. when he clicks on Buy Now. For subscription products, cleverbridge displays the next payment date, the next payment amount, and a link to cancel the subscription.