Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- The current billing interval has started.
- The renewal is not combined with an alignmentAlignment is the act of consolidating the billing for two separate subscriptions into a single recurring billing event. of the subscription.
- The product, to which the customer wants to upgrade, has been set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- On January 1st, 2016, a customer purchases a client's anti-virus subscription for $10 monthly. An annual subscription would have been available for $80 (cost savings of 30%), but the customer is not ready to make that commitment.
- On January 15th, 2016, the customer, now fully satisfied with the anti-virus software, visits the client’s Customer Self-Service area to upgrade to the annual subscription. The page uses the Get Subscription API endpoint to obtain and display the price of the annual subscription, next billing date (February 1st, 2017), and other details regarding the subscription.
- After reviewing this information, the customer confirms this purchase by clicking a Buy Now button on the page. The page uses the Update Subscription API endpoint to upgrade and renew the customer's anti-virus subscription immediately.
- The cleverbridge platform bills the customer the full $80 price for the next billing interval, which starts immediately. The remaining 16 days from the current billing interval are added to the next billing interval, moving the next billing date to February 1st, 2017.
- The customer sees a confirmation pageThe confirmation page is displayed after a customer makes a purchase. The confirmation page contains the order confirmation and delivery information., which is either created by the client or provided by the Subscription API. If the transaction is not successful, the page provided by the API will inform the customer about the next steps, such as updating the payment details in case of a failed payment.