Assumptions and Preconditions
- Both the Freemium and Paid subscription products have been set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- The customer's payment information was captured during a past purchase.
- The Freemium subscription has the status Active.
- The billing interval for the Freemium subscription product and the Paid subscription product are the same (in this use case, annually).
- The renewal date for the Paid subscription will be based on the date that the customer purchased the Freemium subscription.
- On January 1st, a customer uses the cleverbridge checkout process to purchase the client's Freemium subscription to a photo upload and sharing service that includes up to 10 gigabytes of storage space.
- On July 1st, the customer would like additional storage space, and subscribes to the Paid service for $25 annually. The customer visits a client-hosted page to upgrade the subscription. The client uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to replace the Freemium product with the Paid product.
- The cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer a pro-rated amount for the rest of the billing interval.
- On July 1st of the following year, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer $25 for the Premium plan for the new annual billing interval.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following options are also available:
- Reduce the price of the Paid subscription by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant. This discount is applied to all future billings of the subscription.
- The client creates and hosts the sign-up process for the Freemium subscription. When a Freemium customer purchases the Paid subscription, the customer is redirected to the cleverbridge checkout process to capture payment information to create the subscription on the cleverbridge platform.