Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- The product to which the customer wants to downgrade has been set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- Both products have the same billing interval.
- On October 1st, a customer's 200 gigabyte subscription to a cloud-based file-storage service renews for 100€ per quarter.
- On November 13th, the customer logs into the account to access and review files. The customer decides to archive files to a CD and remove them from the storage service.
- The customer notices that the account page offers a one-click option to downgrade from 200 gigabytes to 100, effective on the next quarterly billing date. The customer selects that option. The client's account page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to update the subscription details on the cleverbridge platform.
- On January 1st, the next billing date, the client restricts the customer's access to 100 gigabytes of cloud storage. The cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer the 75€ quarterly renewal price for the 100 gigabyte subscription.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following option is also available:
- Reduce the price of the Paid subscription by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant. This discount is applied to all future billings of the subscription.
Obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtaining Customer Consent.