Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- At the time of purchase, the customer provides payment details for future billing.
- The free trial product automatically converts to a paid subscription after the initial billing interval.
- On February 1st, a customer purchases a client's XYZ subscription that includes a 14-day free trial.
- On February 13th, the customer, having been busy, realizes there was no chance to use the subscription and evaluate its value. To avoid being billed for the subscription, the customer logs into the client's subscription management page. The page uses the Get Subscription API endpoint to display details for the subscription.
- The customer clicks a Cancel My Subscription button.
- Hoping that the customer can be retained if given more time to use the subscription, the client displays a page that offers the customer two options:
- Extend my free trial for 30 days
- No thanks, cancel my subscription
- The customer selects to extend the free trial, triggering the page to use the Update Next Billing Date API endpoint to extend the next billing date by 30 days.
- On March 14th, the free trial billing interval ends and the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer the $79.99 monthly subscription price for the XYZ subscription.
Obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtaining Customer Consent.