Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
The subscription contains only a single item.
- A product that renews annually has been set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- On May 8th, a customer clicks through an email reminder to manually renew an annual anti-virus subscription, which has a monthly billing interval, by the July 1st renewal date. The email redirects the customer to a landing page that displays the following options:
Monthly Cost Annual Cost
Current Plan: Monthly Renewal
$100 billed monthly
$100 $1,200 □
Best Deal (save 25%): Annual Renewal
$900 billed annually
- The customer selects the annual renewal option and then clicks a button to proceed. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to change the subscription from one that has a monthly billing interval to one that has an annual billing interval.
- On July 1st, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer $900 for the next annual billing interval.
Changing the billing interval of a customer’s subscription is achieved by setting up two products in the Commerce Assistant, one for each of the two billing intervals. Usually, these products are functionally identical to each other, but are not required to be.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following options are also available:
- Reduce the subscription billing amount by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- Set a customized per-quantity price for the subscription itemA subscription item is component of a subscription with its own set of attributes including price, description and feature set..
Obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtaining Customer Consent.