Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- Both products are set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- Both products have the same billing interval.
- On January 1st, a customer purchases a client’s cloud-based PaymentsLaw legal research service, paying $5,000 for a subscription that renews quarterly.
- On June 24th, the client introduces the new subscription product ComplianceShield with identical functionality but priced at $3,500 quarterly. Due to this price difference, the customer contacts an account manager to cancel.
- The account manager accesses an internal application that uses the Get Subscription API endpoint to retrieve customer’s subscription details, including the next billing date.
- To retain the customer and to avoid a refund, the account manager offers to:
- Replace the PaymentsLaw subscription with the ComplianceShield subscription effective on the renewal date of July 1st.
- Provide free access to ComplianceShield for the first 30 days.
- The customer accepts this offer, so the account manager updates the subscription on the cleverbridge platform using the internal application, making the following changes:
- Replace the PaymentsLaw subscription with the ComplianceShield subscription, effective on the next renewal date (July 1st). This change utilizes the Update Subscription Item API endpoint.
- Provide free access to ComplianceShield for the first 30 days. This change utilizes the Update Next Billing Date API endpoint.
- On July 1st, the PaymentsLaw subscription ends and the ComplianceShield subscription begins. No billing is generated at this time.
- On July 31st, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer $3500 for ComplianceShield's new quarterly billing interval.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following option is also available:
- Apply a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant to reduce the price of the free trial subscription after the first billing interval.