Assumptions and Preconditions
- The subscription has the status Active.
- The product to which the customer wants to upgrade has been set up in the Commerce Assistant.
- Both products have the same billing interval.
- On January 1st, a customer uses the cleverbridge checkout process to purchase a Basic Plan subscription to a photo storage and sharing service for $9.95 annually. The service provides the customer 100 gigabytes of cloud storage.
On July 1st, the customer visits the client’s update page to upgrade to the Premium Plan (unlimited storage) for $19.95 annually. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to calculate the pro-rated price difference between the Basic Plan and the Premium Plan for the remainder of the current billing interval.
- The upgrade page displays the pro-rated price to the customer, who proceeds with the upgrade. The client's landing page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to complete the upgrade by updating subscription information on the cleverbridge platform.
- The cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer the pro-rated upgrade price for the remaining six months of the current billing interval.
- On January 1st, the cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer the full $19.95 renewal price for the Premium Plan.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following option is also available:
- Reduce the price of the Paid subscription by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Commerce Assistant. This discount is applied to all future billings of the subscription.