The Cleverbridge platform supports different ways to renew subscriptions. The components of the Cleverbridge platform that support renewals, along with renewal-related use cases they support, are identified below.
NoteWhen setting up a subscription product in the Cleverbridge platform, the default renewal setting is auto-renewal. Under auto-renewal, a customer An individual or business purchasing your product or service by placing an order through Cleverbridge. The customer is the end user of this product, as they are not allowed to resell the purchased products or services. A customer is unique per client. If a customer purchases products or services from two different clients, there are 2 separate records of said customer.’s subscription is renewed automatically by the platform, unless a customer proactively cancels it. Most use cases involving subscription renewal discussed here assume auto-renewal.
General Platform Functions
Change the status of a customer's subscription to Awaiting Reinstate. For more information, see Set Up Subscription Products.
For more information on how to renew subscriptions using our
Subscription API, see Use Cases for Subscription Renewal .
NoteThis is an optional feature that uses Message Direct.
For manual-renewal subscriptions (all payment methods), email the customer with a payment reminder before every billing date, and include a link to renew the subscription and bill the payment method.
These are database settings at the client account level. They are maintained by our Technical Support team. For more information, contact Client Experience.
- Payment Reminder for Auto-Renewal Subscriptions: This setting controls whether customers who purchased an auto-renewal subscription using an online payment option Set of payment choices displayed to the customer on the checkout page. Available payment options are based on the customer's GeoIP location and include different payment methods and types, for example: a Purchase order (PO) is a payment option we offer our B2B customers. POs are usually paid via the payment method of wire transfer. receive a notification, before the renewal date, that a credit/debit card will be charged. The default is not to send it because the customer consented to recurring billing in the checkout process.
- Deactivate/Reactivate Automatic Billing for a Subscription Product: Auto-renewal is a default setting for subscription products. If you want to set up products with manual renewal (using the status Awaiting Reinstate), you must request this capability. This can only be set at the product level and only applies to interval 0 of the subscription. Once active, the subscription cannot go back to the status Awaiting Reinstate.
When setting up a product that begins with the status Awaiting Reinstate, you can choose to show or hide the "I Agree" checkbox in the checkout process.
- Hiding the "I Agree" checkbox means that all subscriptions will be set to manual renewal (Awaiting Reinstate) at the time of the purchase.
- Displaying the "I Agree" checkbox requires the customer to check it, which sets the customer's subscription to the status Active. This means that it will renew automatically.
- You can later decide to show the "I Agree" checkbox if it is hidden, or you can hide it if it is shown.
- Set All Subscriptions to the Manual-Renewal Type: This setting assigns a manual renewal type to all subscriptions created with an offline payment option even if the customer confirms automatic renewal during signup. This can be useful if you want to send subscription renewal reminders as part of an email campaign and not through the Cleverbridge platform.