X-parameters are components of URLs used to pass information through the checkout process, such as:
- Sources of revenue (revenue tracking)
- Customer information
- Affiliate An individual or a company that markets a product to potential customers. The Affiliate receives a commission on a specific action (also called event: e.g., sale, lead, click, visit etc.) previously agreed upon with you, the advertiser. Each action is tracked via a unique tracking link from Partnerize. An affiliate is also called a publisher. and partner A company that purchases your products in bulk for a discounted price and resells them to their customers for a profit. In legal terms, a partner is a regular customer as there is no partnership agreement with Cleverbridge in place. information
- Any other information you'd like to pass
X-parameters are configured for attributes initiated outside the Cleverbridge platform. You can create x-parameters based on an information need that is not inherently included in the Cleverbridge platform, such as a user ID number or the name of a campaign. X-parameters must begin with
An x-parameter The x-parameter is a variable appended to a URL that allows grouping and tracking orders for later reporting purposes. It also enables you to pass through data that you want to capture in the order process. X-parameters can also be used to control design elements based on the value of the x-parameter. for an Easter campaign is
How it Works
You can transmit x-parameters to the Cleverbridge platform by:
- Adding them to a URL, which can also be done with the Link Generator.
- Using JSON
- Manually adding them to a transaction in the Purchase viewer
There is no limit to how many x-parameters that can be added to a transaction.
You can view x-parameters in two ways:
- In a specific transaction in the Purchase viewer
- In reports
You can use x-parameters in conjunction with notifications for automated transaction and license key generation. This functionality exports data related to the x-parameters to your back-end systems. To learn more about notifications, see Notifications ✱.
After defining x-parameters, you can add them to their corresponding order URLs and start tracking important customer An individual or business purchasing your product or service by placing an order through Cleverbridge. The customer is the end user of this product, as they are not allowed to resell the purchased products or services. A customer is unique per client. If a customer purchases products or services from two different clients, there are 2 separate records of said customer. data.
X-parameters must be appended to the Cleverbridge-hosted order URL in order to pass through the order process. As long as the parameter begins with
x-, it will be saved in the order process. The number of x-parameters that can be passed is unlimited.
This is the format of an x-parameter in an order URL:
Select a name for the additional parameter. All alphanumeric characters are allowed as well as hyphens. This value is case sensitive.
All additional parameters must begin with
||The actual value for the additional parameter you want to pass to the Cleverbridge system.|
Creating order URLs is a manual process using the following conventions:
- Separate x-parameters from other URL parameters with an ampersand (
- If the URL is an MVT Multivariate testing (MVT) is a technique for testing two or more different variables in the checkout process to determine which variable creates more revenue or a higher conversion rate. URL, (for example,
https://www.shieldwareexamplecompany.com/123/purl-summer2006), the first x-parameter appended to the URL must be separated with a question mark (
?), after which any additional x-parameters are separated with an ampersand.
The following is an example of a configured order URL that includes an MVT:
Add X-Parameters to Existing Orders
If you would like x-parameters to be included in revenue reports, you can add them to a completed purchase.
If you use this method to add an x-parameter to a subscription-related order, the x-parameter won't be included in future billing events.
Add a Parameter
- In the main menu, select Transactions > Purchases. The Purchases search opens.
- Search for the order you would like to add the x-parameter to.
- To open the record, double-click it.
- In the Purchase Details section, click Add Parameter. The Add Parameter window displays.
- Enter the parameter name (key) and value, and click OK. The parameter is added to the order, and displays in the Parameters section.
Edit a Parameter
- In the Purchase Details section, in the Parameters section, right-click a parameter and select Open. The Edit Parameter window displays.
- Enter a new value.
- Click OK.
View X-Parameters in the Commerce Assistant
You can view x-parameters in multiple spots in the Commerce Assistant:
- In the Purchase Viewer
- In the Purchase Search
- Within the reports
You can run simple reports using the Commerce Assistant; but for more advanced revenue tracking, Cleverbridge recommends using Business Intelligence.
You can view x-parameters in the Parameters section of the Purchase Details section in the Purchase Viewer.
You can view x-parameters in the Purchase Search by adding the Parameters column. For more information, see Search ✱ > Filter Search Results Using Grouping Filters .
You can view x-parameters in Commerce Assistant reports by navigating to Promotions and recommendations > Tracking > Revenue. You can select out of several types of reports.